The Downtown Fargo Street Fair has kicked off! We love seeing broadway filled with vendors, delicious food, and large crowds of people! However, there are precautions to take, especially if you are considering bringing a pet. We spoke with 4 Luv of Dog and they gave us some tips to consider before bringing a pet to the Street Fair!
1) If you take your dog along, don’t leave it in the car, even for a few minutes, even with the windows cracked. At 70 degrees, the car will reach over 100 degrees in under 30 minutes.
2) If you can’t keep the back of your hand on the pavement for five seconds, it is too hot for your dog’s paws. Keep them off streets and sidewalks.
3) Consider attending during cooler times of the day – right away in the morning, or late in the afternoon. Bring some water for your dog.
4) Crowds can be overwhelming for your dog. Watch for signs of nervousness or distress – yawning, panting, drooling, cowering, excessive shedding – and be prepared to step away for a while or leave if it is too much for your dog. If your dog is timid, they would probably be happier at home.
5) Keep your dogs leashed at all times. It’s the law, and it’s the best way to keep your dog in your control.
6) Remember that not all dogs are dog-friendly, so if you encounter another dog, don’t allow your dog to approach them without consent from the owner.
7) Be your dog’s advocate. Watch for things that may be frightening to them, and steer clear. Keep an eye out for people and kids that may approach your dog, especially from behind.